Strange behaviour

Stephan steffo76 at gmx.de
Sat Mar 5 04:37:26 EST 2016

Hi,

I have a problem with cyrus imapd 2.5.7 - I connect to it with two
clients, both of which are turned off over night. The processes however
stay and if I start the clients again on the next morning, new processes
get spawned instead of reusing the old ones. This continues till the
limit for maxchild gets hit. When shutting down via initscript. which
just sends a SIGTERM to the master process, there remain more or less
zombies of imapd procs which can only be eliminated by sending a SIGKILL
to the master. In the logs I see that some of the imapd procs stopped
the way they should:

imaps[13135]: graceful shutdown

Others seemed hesitant:

master[11489]: process type:SERVICE name:imaps path:/usr/local/bin/imapd
age:36588.013s pid:13138 exited, status 75

Is there any way to resolve this ? So far I had to restart cyrus every
other day to have access to my mail.

Thanks,
Stephan