unable to delete corrupted mail box on cyrus v2.3.16

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Jan 11 12:40:18 EST 2016

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016, Sophie Loewenthal via Info-cyrus wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a broken mailbox that I would like to delete.
>
> This is Cyrus v2.3.16 on CentOS 6.
>
> I tried reconstructing the mailbox from scratch ( Because I suspect this
> was manually deleted from disc ).
>

> mkdir imap-store/spool/imap/domain/example.com/user/kat^long
> cd imap-store/spool/imap/domain/example.com/user/kat^long
> chmod 755 .
> chown cyrus:mail .
> touch cyrus.header
> chown cyrus:mail cyrus.header
>
> log into cyradm:
> localhost> lam user/kat.long
> kat.long at example.com lrswipkxtecda
> localhost> reconstruct -r user/kae.long
> reconstruct: Mailbox has an invalid format
> localhost> dm user/kat.long
> deletemailbox: Permission denied
>
> Names and domain names replaced with false entries.
>
> How could I remove this?

Here are my steps for recreating a mailbox (normally when I'm restoring a
mailbox from backups):

1. Locate user's mail directory (/var/spool/cyrus/mail/prefix/user/username).
2. Change to that directory.
3. Make a RESTORE directory (mkdir RESTORE).
4. Fix ownership/perms (chown cyrus:mail RESTORE; chmod 700 RESTORE).
5. Change to the directory containing the mail folder the user wants restored.
6. Run 'recover', the Legato backup client.
7. 'changetime' to change the time to recover data from.
8. 'add filename' to add the files to restore.  To restore all the messages in the folder, use 'add *.'.
9. 'relocate RESTORE' to recover files into the RESTORE directory instead of the current directory.
10. 'recover' to recover the files.
11. 'quit' to quit out of the recover program.
12. Create a dummy cyrus.header file "(touch RESTORE/cyrus.header; chown cyrus:mail RESTORE/cyrus.header; chmod 600 RESTORE/cyrus.header).
13. Run "su cyrus -c '/usr/local/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -x -f user.username'".
14. Run "su cyrus -c '/usr/local/cyrus/bin/quota -f user.username'".

I think you're following the same basic steps, but I would try running
reconstruct externally, not from cyradm.  Don't forget the quota command
either.

When you run reconstruct, check syslog for errors too.

 	Andy