Expire doesn't seem to be removing messages

Tom Sparrow tom at thesparrows.net
Tue Oct 13 04:41:28 EDT 2015

I've tried this on the Kolab list and ServerFault with no result, so I'm
hoping someone here can help.

I'm running a Kolab 3.4 server and Cyrus doesn't seem to be removing
messages correctly. I've got full Trash directories on the filesystem
from right back to when I brought the server into use (Feb), plus far to
many messages in many other folders.

|/etc/imap.conf| has:

|deletedprefix: DELETED delete_mode: delayed expunge_mode: delayed |

|/etc/cyrus.conf| has:

|deleteprune cmd="cyr_expire -E 4 -D 69" at=0430 expungeprune
cmd="cyr_expire -E 4 -X 69" at=0445 |

running cyr_expire manually with -D 30 removed some old mailboxes that
hadn't hit 69 days yet, so that seems to be working. Running -X produces
no results though, even with values less than the default 69:

Konsole output
/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyr_expire -E 4 -X 30 -v -a
Expunging deleted messages in mailboxes older than 30.00 days

Expired 0 and expunged 0 out of 0 messages from 0 mailboxes

I was looking at the expiry values, and set a couple to 7 yesterday, but
it hasn't made any difference. I found the -a option today on
http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.8/man/cyr_expire.8.php
but since that makes no difference either I'm assuming the expire values
are not the issue.

Any help gratefully received at this point, I'm pretty much out of ideas
(short of deleting the files manually every now and then, which is not
really a path I want to go down).

Thanks,
Tom.