Advise needed for new mail server

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Thu Nov 19 10:27:46 EST 2015

Zitat von Michael Menge via Info-cyrus <info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>:

> Hi Mufit,
>
> Quoting Mufit Eribol via Info-cyrus <info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been successfully using postfix+cyrus-imapd (2.4.17) for our
>> small company for years on our local server. The emails are now
>> accounting to a size of  some 160GB. As we are having power and
>> internet problems quite often, I rented a VPS from a world renowned
>> hosting company and installed postfix+cyrus-imapd there.
>>
>> My question is, as I have limited hard disk space (40GB) on VPS, I
>> can't (and don't want to) copy all of my local emails to the VPS.
>> The new mail server will have a fresh start. But old emails needs
>> to be accessible on the local server as well.
>>
>> Currently, I am planning to change the names of local domains to
>> some non-existent name just for the internal lookup (example.com
>> --> example2.com), so that we can setup example2.com on our email
>> clients on lan. The real domain example.com will be setup on our
>> desktop email clients as usual. I think, using example2.com on
>> local lan just for reading mails by cyrus will work, but it is not
>> an elegant solution.
>>
>> I would appreciate any ideas.
>>

> Cyrus Murder my be the solution for you.
> https://cyrusimap.org/mediawiki/index.php/Cyrus_Murder
>
> The Clients will only connect to one server (VPS), and the mails can
> be stored on different
> backend servers. There is only minimal configuration change needed
> on your old server, but you
> would need to rename the folders.
>

> 1 backend (VPS) for the INBOX and folders with new Mail
> 1 backend (old System) with all old folders in an archive subfolder
> for each user
> 1 mupdate master (VPS)
> 1 frontend (VPS)
>

> Regards
>
>    Michael Menge

Depending on the mail clients used and the number of clients you can
also simply setup the new server as a additional IMAP Account and
disable the (incoming) SMTP service on the old server. With this you
will have the internal IMAP server as "archive" with a lot of storage
and the new server for internet related traffic.

Regards

Andreas