Advise needed for new mail server

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Nov 19 10:05:32 EST 2015

Hi Mufit,

Quoting Mufit Eribol via Info-cyrus <info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>:

> Hello,
>
> I have been successfully using postfix+cyrus-imapd (2.4.17) for our
> small company for years on our local server. The emails are now
> accounting to a size of  some 160GB. As we are having power and
> internet problems quite often, I rented a VPS from a world renowned
> hosting company and installed postfix+cyrus-imapd there.
>
> My question is, as I have limited hard disk space (40GB) on VPS, I
> can't (and don't want to) copy all of my local emails to the VPS.
> The new mail server will have a fresh start. But old emails needs to
> be accessible on the local server as well.
>
> Currently, I am planning to change the names of local domains to
> some non-existent name just for the internal lookup (example.com -->
> example2.com), so that we can setup example2.com on our email
> clients on lan. The real domain example.com will be setup on our
> desktop email clients as usual. I think, using example2.com on local
> lan just for reading mails by cyrus will work, but it is not an
> elegant solution.
>
> I would appreciate any ideas.

Cyrus Murder my be the solution for you.
https://cyrusimap.org/mediawiki/index.php/Cyrus_Murder

The Clients will only connect to one server (VPS), and the mails can
be stored on different
backend servers. There is only minimal configuration change needed on
your old server, but you
would need to rename the folders.

1 backend (VPS) for the INBOX and folders with new Mail
1 backend (old System) with all old folders in an archive subfolder
for each user
1 mupdate master (VPS)
1 frontend (VPS)

Regards

    Michael Menge

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen