cyrus 2.4.17 -- file descriptor limit set to -1?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Jan 19 09:57:25 EST 2015

On Thu, 2015-01-15 at 11:17 +0000, Geoff Winkless wrote:
> RLIM_INFINITY is defined as ~0ULL, at least on my system. If it's cast
> to a signed value, that will come out at -1, no?
> My problem with systemd isn't that it doesn't work,

It works.

> it's that it's all-pervasive and viral, and forces people who've been
> using standard unix mechanisms for 20 years to learn something
> completely different for no visible concrete advantage.

There are many advantages, but this is not the place to debate the
much-debated systemd.

Resource contol on modern LINUX systems is managed via "cgroups".  This
was added to the kernel quite some time ago to avoid all the ulimit
nonsense and concomitant hacks.

<https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Resource_Management_Guide/ch01.html>

Systemd relies on cgroups.

cgroups are a huge step forward and make administration much easier and
more flexible.

I do not know what distribution you are using but /etc/security/limits
is generally still effective as well.  If you want to run unlimited
change it to:

default:
fsize = -1

- which has been the "correct" way to do this for a very long time.

> As a user rather than a sysadmin it

If you are running an IMAP host then you are a sysadmin.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383