User mail spool partitioning mystery

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Fri Jan 16 18:34:15 EST 2015

On 01/16/2015 07:02 PM, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> That's it! Thanks for the heads up!  I assumed that all the spool hash
> options only applied when you actually have more than one partition,
> which I don't.
>
> Unfortunately this is going to complicate my ability to use the
> excellent migration plan outlined by Nic Berstein on 2014-12-19.
> mailboxes.db will know about the spool files in their old, hashed
> location, which I'd like to get rid of, since all the mail resides on
> one physical partition anyway, so having it set up this way just adds
> unnecessary directory structures.  I might end up having to use imapsync
> after all.

mailboxes.db doesn't know about the hash so if you migrate to a new
server, put all mail in /srv/cyrus/user , and then use "hashimapspool:
0" it should work. In other words if you made the change on your
existing 2.3.16 server and restarted Cyrus it would start looking in
/home/cyrus/mail/user for all mail and give nothing but I/O Errors as
the mail would not be there.