cyrus 2.4.17 -- file descriptor limit set to -1?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 15 06:04:19 EST 2015

I'm firing up cyrus 2.4.17 for the first time on a new platform (Arch
linux w/ systemd) and noticed the following error message (running
journalctl -u cyrus-master):

Jan 15 04:08:50 ibis cyrus/master[701]: setrlimit: Unable to set file
descriptors limit to -1: Operation not permitted
Jan 15 04:08:50 ibis cyrus/master[701]: retrying with 4096 (current max)

Apparently the cyrus master process is trying to set the file descriptor
limit to -1?  Is it even legal to use -1 as infinity in this context?
According to the setrlimit man page:
The soft limit is the value that the kernel enforces for the
corresponding resource. The hard limit acts as a ceiling for the soft
limit: an unprivileged process may only set its soft limit to a value in
the range from 0 up to the hard limit, and (irreversibly) lower its hard
limit. A privileged process (under Linux: one with the CAP_SYS_RESOURCE
capability) may make arbitrary changes to either limit value.

The value RLIM_INFINITY denotes no limit on a resource (both in the
structure returned by getrlimit() and in the structure passed to
setrlimit()).