statuscache -- why isn't this enabled by default?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Jan 10 11:40:22 EST 2015

Again, reading through the documentation (now supplemented by the
*secret* documentation -- thanks, Nic), I noticed:

    statuscache: 0

       Enable/disable the imap status cache.

With this description under database-formats:
----------------------------
STATUS cache (statuscache.db)
This database caches IMAP STATUS information resulting in less I/O when
the STATUS information hasn't changed (mailbox and \Seen state
unchanged). The database is indexed by mailbox name + userid and each
data record contains the database version number, a bitmask of the
stored status items, the mtime, inode, and size of the cyrus.index file
at the time the record was written, the total number of messages in the
mailbox, the number of recent messages, the next UID value, the mailbox
UID validity value, the number of unseen messages, and the highest
modification sequence in the mailbox. The format of each record is as
follows: