Security release for 2.4 series?

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Mon Dec 14 17:37:47 EST 2015

Hi Tim,

Yeah, those are the correct two commits.

>> My other concern was that, honestly, I'm not all that sure what the
>> true risk and capability to exploit is for these bugs.  I've read the
>> CVE's, and associated discussions on the a few lists - but it hasn't
>> enlightened me as much as I've hoped.

As I understand it, the vulnerability was that someone (with enough
access to make a urlfetch request and not have it refused for lack of
auth) could trick the server into returning more data than the requested
resource actually contained, with contents of memory leaking into the
extra.  I don't know whether it could contain anything predictable,
useful or "interesting".  If the range they asked for crossed an
allocation boundary, I think they'd probably just trigger a SEGV in the
process serving their connection, and be disconnected.

I don't know much about urlfetch in practice, or this implementation in
particular, so I too don't really know how exploitable this is.  The bug
just happened to cross my radar, so it got whacked.

Cheers,

ellie