POLL: per-domain shared folder/sieve/etc

Clement Hermann (nodens) nodens2099 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 05:39:13 EDT 2014

On 22/10/2014 23:02, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> The problem is, it means you can't set quotas per domain, you can't have sieve scripts per domain, and most of all - you can't have shared folders in a domain.
>
> example.com!shared.stuff worked fine, but
>
> shared.example^com.stuff would be weird.  It's just a folder, and wouldn't be treated specially in any way.  The domain would have no special meaning.
So if I understand this correctly, it means we could still have "global"
shared folders but not shared folders limited in a domain namespace like
we have now ?

if so, it seems both good and bad to me.

The good : if you have several domains in a single organisation, you can
have shared folder for all.
The bad : in a multi-tenant environment, we can't provide shared folder
to our customers without adding something to the name to ensure it is
unique accross all customers, or use the standard mailbox sharing (so
the end user sees "Other users/mypublicmailbox at mydomain" in its client).
No more "Shared Folders/contact" or "Shared Folders/public".

Shared folders in a multi-tenant environment is not so widespread I
think, it's more a global organisation thing, but still, it could be an
issue for some.

I'm not sure how well it would be handled in groupware suites like Horde
for instance.

Cheers,

--
Clément Hermann (nodens)