POLL: per-domain shared folder/sieve/etc

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 22 17:02:39 EDT 2014

So Cyrus has three different types of domain split:

* none at all
* "on/yes" => weird reverse DNS hackery
* userid => login with domain.

As part of finally switching to unixheirarchysep: on (yay) and better key format (double yay) I want to change the overarching "split users into separate domains" logic we have right now.

Yes, that means a massive change, instead of internally:

example.com!user.foo.bar  <=> user/foo/bar at example.com (which is a million ways of bogus) we would have:

user.foo at example^com.bar <=> user/foo at example.com/bar

Or in alt namspace:

Other Users/foo at example.com/bar

This means we will finally be able to share things across domains.  It creates a single consistent way to access everything.

The problem is, it means you can't set quotas per domain, you can't have sieve scripts per domain, and most of all - you can't have shared folders in a domain.

example.com!shared.stuff worked fine, but

shared.example^com.stuff would be weird.  It's just a folder, and wouldn't be treated specially in any way.  The domain would have no special meaning.

This is all, obviously, Cyrus 3.0 stuff.  It's a significant change in how folder naming works.  It's really good for removing some inconsistencies though.  I just want to have an idea of whether it will mess up anyone's existing workflows - and if so how we can make sure you can still achieve a similar result, even if it doesn't look quite the same in the new world.

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana
  brong at fastmail.fm