Migrate cyrus 2.3.8 to 2.4.17

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Oct 7 09:16:37 EDT 2014

Quoting Giuseppe Ravasio <giuseppe_ravasio at modiano.com>:

> Hi,
> I'm planning and testing the migration of a IMAP mail server based on
> cyrus 2.3.8 with about 3TB of mailstore, 300 users and a lot of shared
> folders (with shared flags (group permission with +w)).
>
> The old server is a 32bit one and the new one is 64bit virutual machine.
> as now I've succesfully used this procedure:
> - Rsync of all mailstores /var/lib/imap and /var/lib/sieve
> - rm -v /var/lib/imap/db/* /var/lib/imap/db.backup1/* \
>    /var/lib/imap/db.backup2/* /var/lib/imap/deliver.db \
>    /var/lib/imap/tls_sessions.db /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db
> - ctl_mboxlist -u < /tmp/mboxlist.txt
> - ctl_cyrusdb -r
> - tls_prune
> - ctl_cyrusdb -c
>
> - cyr_expire -E 3
>
> The last command took about 24 hours to complete and if understand right
> It converted cyrus mailbox DBs from v9 to v12.
>
> I wonder if the first cyr_expire could run even with the service started
> and if it should be better to run a reconstruct on all the mailboxes in
> place of this cyr_expire.

Every access of a mailbox (cyr_rxpire, squatter, unexpunge, imapd,
pop3d, ...) will trigger the update of that mailbox on the fly.
Depending on the size
of the mailbox this will only take a few seconds.
But access to many mailboxes will add up and my slow the system down,
so it might be a good idea to stop cyr_expire, squatter before work time.

Maybe "cyr_expire -E 3 -x" will not update the mailbox, but i don't know
for sure. Starting cyrus before cyr_expire has been run should not be a
problem.

> Last but not least, do you think that sieve filters should be recompiled?

If you where only updating form 2.3.x to 2.4 that should not be necessary,
but as you are changing the architecture I don't know.