Locations for folders, etc, for previously-existing users

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Nov 20 10:46:41 EST 2014

Hi Don

Quoting Don Levey <cyrus.info at the-leveys.us>:

> If this has been covered elsewhere, please excuse me - I have not turned
> up the info I need in any of my searches.  Recently my CentOS home server
> crashed, and in the process of reconstruction I have brought up a new
> configuration into which I am trying to migrate the data from my old
> users.  What's more, my old server was first configured over a decade ago,
> and when it came time to rebuild I decided on Cyrus rather than the
> previously-installed Dovecot (as I've found Cyrus is now the default on
> CentOS).  Before I worry about the various client applications trying to
> connect, am am working on getting Squirrelmail up and running properly.
>
> Now, the details.  At the moment, I am able to send via Squirrelmail, but
> am unable to access the existing mail inbox or the numerous folders my
> users have previously created on the server (currently reading mail via
> mutt, inbox only).  This appears to be due to the differing directory
> structures in the two different IMAP packages.  While it might be nice to
> simply alter a config var and have everything magically appear, I am
> certainly willing to manually move data files to the new appropriate
> locations - the problem is that I don't know the locations.
>
> Previously, I had the following directory structure
> /home/user
>         ~mail (I honestly don't know how it got set up this way; the tilda
> gives me the willies)
>                 Folder 1 (data file with mail messages)
>                 Folder 2
>                 Folder 3
>                 .imap
>                         Folder 1 (dir)
>                         Folder 2 (dir)
>                         Folder 3 (dir)
>                                 dovecot.index
>                                 dovecot.index.cache
>                                 dovecot.index.log
>
> ..And so on.  I know that the Cyrus structure seems to use:
>         /var/spool/imap/user/<u>/<username>
>
> but that <username> file seems to be... not a data file. Is there a way to
> migrate the old configuration into the new one?  I'm not sure what other
> info will be necessary from me.

Cyrus and Dovecot use differen structures to store the mails and
meta infos on disk. Cyrus is not able to pares the Dovecote data
and as far as I know dovecote can't parse the cyrus structures
either directly. There might be tools to convert the data. Most
tools I know of use the IMAP protocol which requires a running imap
server that can access the old mails.

If i remember correctly the dovecot data files use the mbox format.
There are some tools that can upload mails from mbox files to IMPA
Servers. But i don't know if it is possible to convert all mailbox
features with them (ACLs, seen status for shared mailboxes).

Regards,

    Michael

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen