NO Login failed: generic failure

Mogens Melander mogens at fumlersoft.dk
Wed Mar 26 19:53:05 EDT 2014

Marc,

On Wed, March 26, 2014 22:04, Marc Fournier wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2014, at 12:54 , Marc Fournier <scrappy at hub.org> wrote:
>
>> Mar 26 19:47:17 xxx imap[1448]: Could not open db
>> Mar 26 19:47:17 xxx imap[1448]: sql plugin Parse the username
>> sales at xxx.info
>> Mar 26 19:47:17 xxx imap[1448]: sql plugin doing query SELECT
>> cmusaslsecretPLAIN FROM sasl_auth WHERE userid = 'sales at xxx.info';

Your DB config is off..

>> Mar 26 19:47:17 xxx imap[1448]: sql plugin: no such column:
>> cmusaslsecretPLAIN
>> Mar 26 19:47:17 xxx imap[1448]: commit transaction
>> Mar 26 19:47:17 xxx imap[1448]: sql plugin Parse the username
>> sales at xxx.info
>> Mar 26 19:47:17 xxx imap[1448]: sql plugin try and connect to a host
>> Mar 26 19:47:17 xxx imap[1448]: sql plugin trying to open db
>> '/var/db/sqlite/mailsys' on host ''
>>

> ‘k, think I got it … tracing “Could not open db” to where it is in the
> code, turns out it is generated by cyrus-sasl -> sasldb -> db_ndbm.c …
> but, we don’t *use* sasldb, so why is that error being generated?

You should look in your cyrus/sasl .config files. Thats where
you put the importent stuff.

> Looking on my ‘working system’, there is a /usr/local/etc/sasldb2.db file
> there, which is why that error isn’t being  generated … so, I just created
> a ‘dummy’ sasldb2.db file on both of my non-workign systems, and suddenly,
> it looks like everything is authenticating properly …
>
> Still have to do more testing but … is there some way to *disable* it
> checking for that file?  I created and then disabled an account in it, so
> that its got the right structure, so its not too painful of a solution,
> just not sure why it came up in the first place … when I upgraded the
> code, the version of cyrus-sasl didn’t change (2.1.16 in both the pre and
> post upgrade systems, just confirmed), but cyrus-imap went from 2.3 -> 2.4
> … so a stricter requirement in 2.4 that I hadn’t seen before … ?

I did my auth in MySQL. SQLite would be more or less the same.
Define your SQL in your SASL confg, and your off..

--
Mogens Melander
+66 8701 33224

BTW. I would prefere (prefere, not being a proper English word,
substitute with: like ) to receive e-mail in plain text.
Please look for an option, to associate, mail to
me, with plain text. Thank you.

believed to be clean.