xfer problems between 2.3.15 and 2.4.17

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 5 12:18:16 EDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-06-05 at 16:15 +0100, gavin.gray at ed.ac.uk wrote:
> As you may be aware we are attempting this and have run into various
> problems.
>
> Currently we have a mixed murder of 2.3.15 backends and 2.4.17 backends.
> We are now fairly confident that we can xfer accounts succesfully between
> these backends. The problems we had appear to have been with a very small
> number of accounts on our older backends that had corrupt cyrus.index
> files.
>
> However we are now having trouble configuring frontends that will work
> with this mixed murder environment while we xfer our users accross.
>
> If we use our existing 2.3.15 frontends then users have who have been
> migrated lose the ability to see other accounts in the "Other Users" name
> space.
>
> On the other hand if we introduce 2.4.17 frontends then we see strange
> behaviour around folder creation. Clients can create the folders but
> autosubscription fails with the client being told the new folder doesn't
> exist. If one waits a minute or two one can manually subscribe to the
> folder.
>
> So far we have not upgraded the mupdate master. Is this a mistake?
>
> In terms of the frontend config we have added
>
> suppress_capabilities: ESEARCH QRESYNC WITHIN XLIST LIST-EXTENDED
>
> to the 2.4.17 frontends, otherwise the config is identical to our 2.3.15
> frontends. Is there any other config changes we should be aware of?
>
> any ideas greatly appreciated...

What you're doing should work just fine.  It's exactly what we did to
migrate our murder environment from 2.3.x to 2.4.x.  I think I posted to
the info-cyrus list about how we upgraded, but maybe I didn't.  I got
all the 2.4 backend servers built and ready to go, then I upgraded all
the frontends to 2.4, then I used XFER to move all the mail from 2.3 to
2.4 servers.  I don't recall exactly when I upgraded our mupdate server,
but I don't think it matters.  I don't believe anything changed in
mupdate protocol or in the mailbox.db format between 2.3 and 2.4.

Have you tried grabbing telemetry on the 2.4 server when the
subscription fails?  Is there anything being logged?

Thanks!

Dave