popularity of NNTP (Re: nntp not working after upgrade)

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 15 11:14:06 EST 2014

On 01/06/2014 01:01 PM, Mikhail T. wrote:
> On 06.01.2014 8:03, Bron Gondwana wrote:
>> I think the problem is that just about nobody is running nntp
> I for one would /love/ to make some of the mailboxes, where I archive
> some private mailing lists, available to people via NNTP (read-only)
> -- one list per "news-group". In my opinion, it is a method much
> superior to the perversely popular HTML archivers (like mhonarc or the
> mailman's component), for example.
>
> Unfortunately, every time I ventured to configure such a set up, I
> could not do it in reasonable time and was forced to abandon the effort.
>
> Whereas there are plenty of howtos and manuals for setting up an
> IMAP-server with Cyrus, the NNTP is either undocumented, or the
> documentation is so old, it refers to obsoleted versions of the
> software. If someone using NNTP were to document it, maybe, the
> user-base would start growing?
>
>> so it didn't get much testing.
> Maybe, if Cyrus developers "ate their own dogfood" -- keeping the
> archives of this mailing list available via NNTP, for example?..

We actually are using the Cyrus NNTP stuff at CMU, and other than the
bug that I introduced when adding the 'newsgroups' option (since fixed),
it works just fine.

The instructions in doc/install-netnews.html should be sufficient to get
you going.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer