popularity of NNTP (Re: nntp not working after upgrade)

Dennis Davis dennisdavis at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 7 02:21:09 EST 2014

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Mikhail T. wrote:

> From: Mikhail T. <mi+cyrus at aldan.algebra.com>
> To: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
> Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 18:01:54
> Subject: popularity of NNTP (Re: nntp not working after upgrade)
>
> On 06.01.2014 8:03, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > I think the problem is that just about nobody is running nntp
>
> I for one would /love/ to make some of the mailboxes, where I
> archive some private mailing lists, available to people via NNTP
> (read-only) -- one list per "news-group". In my opinion, it is
> a method much superior to the perversely popular HTML archivers
> (like mhonarc or the mailman's component), for example.

I did something like this when I ran a Usenet server.  The hooks are
there in the INN software.  That Usenet server is now long gone, I'm
gone from the organisation concerned, and the organisation no longer
runs a Usenet service.

However I think you'll find mailing lists as Usenet Newsgroups is
already available for *lots* of public mailing lists.  See:

http://gmane.org

This particular mailing list appears available as the gmane
Newsgroup:

gmane.mail.imap.cyrus

readable via the web or NNTP.

You can, I believe, post via gmane.  See:

http://gmane.org/post.php
--
Dennis Davis <dennisdavis at fastmail.fm>