nntp not working after upgrade

Ulrich Eckhardt cy at uli-eckhardt.de
Sun Jan 5 10:03:01 EST 2014

Hi,

I have upgraded my server to from debian 6 (with cyrus 2.2) to debian 7
(with cyrus 2.4.16). After this upgrade it is not possible anymore to
feed news into my imap-spool.

In the logs i get the following output from fetchnews:
Jan  5 12:21:55 h1690828 cyrus/fetchnews[6474]: fetchnews: nntp.aioe.org
offered 4; localhost rejected 0, accepted 0, failed 4

The nntpd logs the following:
---------- 127.0.0.1 Sun Jan  5 13:28:06 2014

 >1388924886>200 h1690828.stratoserver.net Cyrus NNTP
v2.4.16-Debian-2.4.16-4+deb7u1 server ready, posting allowed
<1388924886<IHAVE <dan-20131021-2247-01 at moderators.dana.de>
 >1388924886>335 <dan-20131021-2247-01 at moderators.dana.de> Send article
<1388924886<Path:
aioe.org!news.mb-net.net!open-news-network.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Henning Sponbiel xxxxxxx
Newsgroups: de.alt.netdigest
Subject: [de.rec.sport.fussball] Re: Es brennt der Baum...
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 20:48:43 +0000 (UTC)
 >1388924886>436 <dan-20131021-2247-01 at moderators.dana.de> Failed
receiving article (Mailbox does not exist)
<1388924887<IHAVE <dan-20131021-2247-02 at moderators.dana.de>

So it seems there is something wrong with my mailboxes. So I have
removed the mailboxes for news and recreated them as described in
http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/mediawiki/index.php/NNTP

According cyradm the mailboxes exist and seems to have the correct
permissions:

h1690828:/var/lib/cyrus/log/127.0.0.1#  cyradm localhost
Password:
localhost.localdomain> lm
INBOX (\HasNoChildren)
Trash (\HasNoChildren)
news.de.alt.netdigest (\HasNoChildren)
news.de.alt.sysadmin.recovery (\HasNoChildren)
user.uli (\HasChildren)
..
localhost.localdomain> lam news.de.alt.netdigest
anyone lrsp
localhost.localdomain> lam news.de.alt.sysadmin.recovery
anyone lrsp

In the imapd.conf file I have the following entries regarding news:
# News setup
partition-news: /var/spool/cyrus/news
allownewnews: 0
newsprefix: news

# Alternate namespace
# If enabled, activate the alternate namespace as documented in
# /usr/share/doc/cyrus-doc-2.4/html/altnamespace.html, where an user's
# subfolders are in the same level as the INBOX
# See also userprefix and sharedprefix on imapd.conf(5)
altnamespace: no

# UNIX Hierarchy Convention
# Set to yes, and cyrus will accept dots in names, and use the forward
# slash "/" to delimit levels of the hierarchy. This is done by
unixhierarchysep: no

So I have no idea where to search next for this problem. Is there a
possibility to log which mailbox the nntpd expects?

Best Regards
Uli
--
Ulrich Eckhardt                  http://www.uli-eckhardt.de

Ein Blitzableiter auf dem Kirchturm ist das denkbar stärkste
Misstrauensvotum gegen den lieben Gott. (Karl Krauss)