Best distro for Exim/Cyrus

Paul O'Rorke paul at tracker-software.com
Fri Feb 14 18:05:59 EST 2014

Vlad and Andrew,

thanks so much for the tip on the "lmtpd -a" - that certainly did allow
mail to flow to the expected mailbox.  Thanks so much.

I'm definitely making progress thanks to the help here. I'm stuck
getting sasl authentication though.  As I understand it cyrus_sasl uses
it's own (Berkley?) database so I can manage users without them having
system accounts.  Certainly I've been using saslpasswd2 to set the user
passwords but I'm unable to configure this.

If I uncomment any of the "Authentcate against cyrus-sasl" options I get
an error when running  update-exim4.conf:

    root at blmail:~# update-exim4.conf
    2014-02-14 14:54:28 Exim configuration error in line 849 of
    /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp:
       authenticator cram_md5_sasl_server: cannot find authenticator
    driver "cyrus_sasl"
    Invalid new configfile /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp, not
    installing
    /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp to
    /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated

If I don't use any encrypted passwords I can log in, work with
mailboxes, receive mail but not send (relay not permitted which I
suspect is so as to not be an open relay..?)

What do I need to do to authenticate with the cyrus_sasl db?  Why would
the authenticator driver "cyrus_sasl" not be available?  Do I need to
enable that somewhere?

I've read so many conflicting pages I've completely confused myself.
Maybe I should be looking at TLS/SSL now...

thanks again

*Paul O'Rorke* Tracker Software Products paul at tracker-software.com
<mailto:paul.ororke at tracker-software.com>