restore from cyrdump

Willy Offermans Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Thu Dec 18 08:08:47 EST 2014

Hello Patrick and Cyrus friends,

I have used imapsync to transfer the imap data from computer1 to computer2.
Though this was more difficult than expected. The following worked:

/usr/local/bin/imapsync --host1 computer1.example.org --user1 MyName --port1 143 --password1 MASKED --tls1 --authmech1 PLAIN --host2 computer2.example.org --user2 MyName --port2 143 --password2 MASKED --tls2 --authmech2 PLAIN

The following did not work:

/usr/local/bin/imapsync --host1 computer1.example.org --user1 MyName --port1 993 --password1 MASKED --tls1 --authmech1 PLAIN --host2 computer2.example.org --user2 MyName --port2 993 --password2 MASKED --tls2 --authmech2 PLAIN

Though, both computers are listening on 143 and 993. I always assumed that
I needed for 993 for imaps and 143 for tls/ssl, so I was always wondering
why tls/ssl did work on 993 with for example mutt, my mail client.
Therefore I assumed that the ports 143 and 993 were equal for the
cyrus-imap server side. Actually, now I'm thinking about it, I never forced
the cyrus-imap server to respond to encrypted connections only. I hope and
think that the server will refuse unencrypted connections for the authmech1
PLAIN LOGIN etc.

Are the responses to connection requests on port 143 different from port
993 for cyrus-imapd? Are plain passwords allowed over unencrypted
connections?