restore from cyrdump

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 9 15:23:04 EST 2014

On 12/09/2014 09:03 AM, Willy Offermans wrote:
>> Now I want to restore the data of user.$USER on a different server.
>>
>> How should I proceed?

To move a single user to a new server, in the past I've used imapsync to
good effect (http://imapsync.lamiral.info/):

   imapsync --host1 my_old_server --authmech1 LOGIN --user1 pgoetz
--password1 xxxxx --host2 my_new_server --authmech2 PLAIN --user2 pgg
--password2 xxxxx

In terms of a general backup scheme, since I have no idea how to set up
a replication server, I've been toying with using imapsync for general
backups to another (otherwise unused) imap server.  I think the only way
to do this for the entire mail store is to create a cyrus-backup user
that has read access to all folders on the primary server and read/write
access to the backup mail server.  However, I haven't tested this and
don't know if this will work properly.  Also, as suggested by Marcus
Schopen, this is liable to be quite slow, as each user has be to synced
individually AFAIK.

(I'm pretty sure the last time I used imapsync it was free, but the
author appears to now be selling it.)