CalDAV?

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 16 13:16:32 EST 2014

Hi Patrick,

On 12/16/2014 12:38 PM, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> On 12/15/2014 04:24 PM, Nic Bernstein wrote:
>> Patrick,
>> You'll find a link to the latest Beta release with CalDav/CardDav
>> support on the Cyrus IMAP website:
>>
>>      http://cyrusimap.org/
>

> Thanks for that information.  I've had to educate myself on how CalDav
> works, but this looks fairly promising.
>
> How can I find out more about what kinds of calendar functionality is
> supported (e.g. shared calendars, email-based appointment scheduling,
> simultaneous access to multiple calendars, etc.)?

The current list of supported DAV functionality is returned in the DAV
header in OPTIONS responses:

DAV: 1, 2, 3, access-control, extended-mkcol
DAV: calendar-access, calendar-availability, calendar-auto-schedule
DAV: calendar-managed-attachments,
calendar-managed-attachments-no-recurrence
DAV: addressbook

calendar-sharing isn't supported yet, at least not per the specs that
are being worked on in CalConnect and eventually the IETF.

The Fastmail folks have added some code to share calendars strictly
based on ACLs, but this is different from the invite/accept method that
is being worked on in the specs.  Are you talking about public
calendars, sharing a private calendar with a colleague, or both?

Email-based appointment scheduling is only used if you try to schedule
with someone NOT on the Cyrus server.  The Cyrus server will send out
invites/replies via email for remote users.  Any local attendees will
have the appointment automatically added to their calendar per the
calendar-auto-schedule spec.  If you receive an email appointment, and
have a calendar-aware email client, then the client will have to add the
appointment to your calendar. Eventually, I would like to add iMIP
gateway functionality to lmtpd which would auto-handle replies (I think
auto-handling initial requests is just asking for problems).

This works for well me when I receive Exchange emails from colleagues.
Thunderbird/Lightning or Apple Mail.app will correctly put events on my
calendar.

The CalDAV scheduling support probably still has some holes it in, but
as the only person that I'm aware of that's using it, its working fine.
As far as the rest of the CalDAV support, its pretty mature.  Fastmail
has had it rolled out to their user base for the better part of 2014.

The documentation on all of the DAV stuff is still pretty bare, so feel
free to ask questions and/or supply additional documentation.

Let me and/or the list know if you have any other questions.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer