restore from cyrdump

Willy Offermans Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Sun Dec 7 07:01:52 EST 2014

Dear Cyrus friends,

I want to simulate a possible crash of the company's mail server.
At the moment the server works smoothly, but you never know... It is best
to be prepared for it and to have possibilities to restore critical data.
E-mail info was appointed to be one of the critical data.

So I picked one user and cyrdump his data into a file.

``cyrdump -v user.$USER > /tmp/$USER.dump''

If I make a quick scan of the file, it looks like a dump of mails of the
user. Moreover, there is flag info per mail subfolder. There is info about
subfolders and there is info about the mail IDs in each subfolder.
Summarized, there is all the info needed to reconstruct the user's
mailfolder and mails.

I created the mailbox lists

su - cyrus -c "ctl_mboxlist -d" > /tmp/mailboxes.txt

Now I want to restore the data of user.$USER on a different server.

How should I proceed? I might write a script to reconstruct the data from
the $USER.dump file, but I guess there is already a tool to do so. However
I'm not aware of such tool and moreover I cannot find any info on
http://www.cyrusimap.org/ concerning this. Can someone help me out?

To my opinion, the restore procedure should be well documented.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Wiel