Ban some users from accessing IMAP

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 28 12:47:29 EDT 2014

Sorry for the top-post...

We had exactly this requirement, so Ken added the user_deny database a couple years ago.  Coincidentally, it was added in the 2.3.16 release, so you're set there.

The good news is that user_deny.db does exactly what you want.  It allows you to deny any specific service to a valid user, even if they can successfully authenticate to your Cyrus server.

The bad news is that there's no utility that will add things to the user_deny database for you.  I wrote a web interface that we use here.  You'll need to do something similar.  You could probably use cyr_dbtool or write a script to populate user_deny.db.  The format of it is described here: http://cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.17/internal/database-formats.php  (we weren't publishing the internal stuff for earlier versions of Cyrus, but the user_deny.db is still the same).

Thanks!

Dave