Code for manipulating all messages matching some criteria?

John Wade jwade at oakton.edu
Tue Oct 22 18:56:32 EDT 2013

Hi Jason,

We have run into this a number of times with various spear phishing
messages.    As a result, we cobbled together a total hack.   We have a
perl tool that searches the mail spool filesystems, (either inboxes only
or a full recursive search) and then searches and replaces the offending
link or text within the messages.   Does not help with clients who cache
the message contents and is not a perfect solution, but has worked when
we have needed it .    Since it only touches the contents of messages,
it does not require a reconstruct like nuking the file outside of Cyrus
would.   We ended up going through the file system to find the messages
since some of these attacks had a lot of variation of subject, sender
and links and regular expressions are a great tool.

I have been meaning for some time to rewrite this to have it do an IMAP
delete/purge of the offending messages, but have not had the time.
If somebody has a great tool for this that they could share, I would
love to see it.

If anybody really wants our pathetic little hack, I would be happy to
share it.

Hope this helps,
John Wade
Oakton Community College