Good webmail client software for cyrus?

Michel Blanc mblanc at erasme.org
Mon Mar 11 04:16:29 EDT 2013

On 10/03/2013 21:08, Charles Bradshaw wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After much pain I have my cyrus-imap server up and working with
> sendmail. I have penetrated the configuration subtleties of serving
> virtual domains and  persuading cyrus and sendmail to co-operate using
> today's security protocols.(MD5 and TLS/SSL).
>
> I am now researching how to provide a HTTP (webmail style) MAU as an
> alternative to a bunch of IMAP feature lacking, or otherwise broken,
> desktop user agents.

Hi Charles / list,

Here we use RoundCube too. It's quite flexible (we achieved to use CAS
authentication in Roundcube using pam_cas with few liters of coffee), so
I suppose writing/finding a MySQL password changing tool is quite easy;
there are a few password changing plugins around
http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Plugin_Repository#Settings

It also supports sieve quite well, so, while we're still investigating
large scale deployment, we are quite pleased with it.

Yes, it's PHP, and I don't like it much either. However, the code is
very clear and it's quite easy to write or hack on plugins.

> I also need to source a GUI mailbox/password server management tool.
> Currently I'm using MySql Workbench for password management and cyradm
> command line for mailbox configuration.

We also use MySQL for the user database (through a custom pam_mysql).
Here we're rewriting our old management software using Ramaze (a great
Ruby web framework, much lighter than Rails). It is in it's humble
beginnings, but if you're interested, we can push the code publicly so
you can peek at it.
We might have to fiddle a bit to make things more usable for the rest of
the world before. The development is quite slow, as we are chasing many
rabbits (?) at the same time, and it's linked to our mail architecture
overhaul which takes some time too.

Our old management system used mod_perl/mysql. While you might like the
idea, the thing is really old and ugly. But it works and proved quite
reliable over the years with ~150k users. It allows password management,
virtual domains management, aliases, quota. I suppose we can publish
this one too after a code review, but don't expect any further
development on this one.

Good luck in your research.

Michel Blanc - Systèmes/Réseaux Erasme
Erasme/CG69/Saint Clément les Places/FR69930
T +33-474706840 <mblanc at erasme.org>
http://reseau.erasme.org
FA67 4EDA D648 9E50 BFA4 3F29 FDF5 4971 24B3 5C22