uppercase usernames

Joerg Maier joerg.maier joerg.maier at shove-it.de
Sun Mar 10 18:28:58 EDT 2013

Hi List,

I am using cyrus since ~8 years for a mailserver with ~200
mailaccounts.

After transferring a mailserver from cyrus 2.2 to 2.4, I have an issue
with usernames containing uppercase letters. Up to now, i did tread the
part before the @ as case sensitive, and i allowed users to create
mailboxes like TestCApital.....

I have set:
lmtp_downcase_rcpt: 0
username_tolower: 0

When I try:
testsaslauthd -u TestCApital.<domain> -p <password>
I get
0: OK "Success."

But when I try to logon via imap, i see in the logs:
... saslauthd[24118]: do_auth         : auth failure:
[user=testcapital.<domain>] [service=imap] [realm=] [mech=pam]
[reason=PAM auth error]

What is the best solution to work around this?

Thanks a lot for support,
Joerg