Good webmail client software for cyrus?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Mar 10 17:10:44 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 20:08 +0000, Charles Bradshaw wrote:
> I am now researching how to provide a HTTP (webmail style) MAU as an
> alternative to a bunch of IMAP feature lacking, or otherwise broken,
> desktop user agents.
> I also need to source a GUI mailbox/password server management tool.
> Currently I'm using MySql Workbench for password management and cyradm
> command line for mailbox configuration.

Horde probably provides everything you are looking for; it is VERY
feature-complete, standards compliant, and well supported.

<http://www.horde.org/>

> I'm hoping to combine the above management features in one web enabled
> system.
> I see Zimbra and roundcube. The former commercial, the latter open
> source, appear to provide the required technical solutions. Although it
> is slightly unclear that either provide configurable password management
> capable of interfacing to MySql.

Horde's user / group / password support is extremely flexible.

> Neither of the above are ideal. The first because it isn't open source.
> The latter because it is written in PHP. A paradigm I am too old to
> become proficient in.

PHP is the platform of just apps.  AFAIK there is no supported / current
webmail interface in Java / .NET.  PHP is nothing to be afraid of, it is
simple to deploy and support;  certainly more so that Python or other
web-server alternatives.

> I have two questions therefore:
> First has anybody got any insight into any other good open source
> solutions?

Horde.