Good webmail client software for cyrus?

Charles Bradshaw brad at bradcan.homelinux.com
Sun Mar 10 16:08:53 EDT 2013

Hi all,

After much pain I have my cyrus-imap server up and working with
sendmail. I have penetrated the configuration subtleties of serving
virtual domains and  persuading cyrus and sendmail to co-operate using
today's security protocols.(MD5 and TLS/SSL).

I am now researching how to provide a HTTP (webmail style) MAU as an
alternative to a bunch of IMAP feature lacking, or otherwise broken,
desktop user agents.

I also need to source a GUI mailbox/password server management tool.
Currently I'm using MySql Workbench for password management and cyradm
command line for mailbox configuration.

I'm hoping to combine the above management features in one web enabled
system.

I see Zimbra and roundcube. The former commercial, the latter open
source, appear to provide the required technical solutions. Although it
is slightly unclear that either provide configurable password management
capable of interfacing to MySql.

Neither of the above are ideal. The first because it isn't open source.
The latter because it is written in PHP. A paradigm I am too old to
become proficient in.

I would much prefer an open source GPL modperl approach. I attempted to
install WING: http://sourceforge.net/projects/web-imap/,. but the
project appears dead. My request to the mailing list:
wing-admin-subscribe at maillist.ox.ac.uk bounced immediately. Also I
suspect that it has some embedded UW IMAP server dependency.

I have started looking at Cyrus::IMAP::Admin with some preliminary
success. This not easy because of the stunning lack of documentation and
the particularly obscure 'perlish' coding style!

I have two questions therefore:

First has anybody got any insight into any other good open source
solutions?

Alternatively is there a modperl webmail like project out there I could
contribute to?

Charles Bradshaw