What is chk_cyrus supposed to do?

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Tue Jan 29 10:09:48 EST 2013

On 01/29/2013 10:44 AM, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I only recently learned about chk_cyrus. I've run it twice since, but
> I'm not sure what to make of the results. When I ran it the first time I
> figured it repaired all issues it encountered, e.g.:
>
> UKLAN.Bauanfragen.abgelehnt.2003: update acl from header a0620
> lrswipkxtecda   liebchen        lrswipcda       a0643   lrswipcda
> a0624   lrswipcda       a0075   lrswi   a0030   lrswi   a0090   lrswi
> a0005   lrswipktecd      => a0620       lrswipkxtecda   cyrus
> lrswipkxtecda   a0624   lrswipkxtecda   a0005   lrswipktecd
> user.redacted.Sent Messages uid 200 found - adding
> user.redacted.Sent Messages uid 201 found - adding
> user.redacted.Sent Messages uid 202 found - adding
> user.redacted.Sent Messages uid 203 found - adding
> user.redacted.Sent Messages uid 204 found - adding
> user.redacted.Sent Messages uid 205 found - adding
> user.redacted.Sent Messages uid 206 found - adding
> user.redacted.Sent Messages uid 207 found - adding
> user.redacted.Sent Messages uid 208 found - adding
> user.redacted.Sent Messages uid 209 found - adding
> user.redacted.Sent Messages uid 210 found - adding
>
> And so on. But then I ran it again and found almost all the same
> messages again. That raises the question if chk_config is supposed to
> fix these issues, and if it isn't, what we are supposed to do instead?
> Run reconstruct on all mailboxes that have output like that? The manpage
> isn't very clear on that.

Correct, chk_cyrus just tells you what is wrong. However, be careful
running reconstruct on what it finds (check dates on messages that
reconstruct would add back in). I ran reconstruct on all the mailboxes
that cyrus_chk found problems with and some of my users were a little
confused when e-mail that was "missing" for over 2 years suddenly showed
up in their InBoxes. :-)