Need guidelines on how to migrate a Cyrus-Imapd server

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Feb 1 07:45:05 EST 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 13:20 +0100, Thibault Le Meur wrote:

> > On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 10:43 +0100, Thibault Le Meur wrote:
> > Are you sure that duplicate suppression was enabled on the replica?
> Yes I'm sure, and a simple find have quickly confrimed this.
>     find . -type f -a \! -links 1 -ls
> ..
> 141637005   32 -rw-------  12 cyrus    mail        30678 sept. 20
> 18:42 ./obfustcated-username/12307.

Then something is deduplicating.

> > I have "duplicatesuppression: yes" set on the replica.
> I thought that duplicatesuppression was a different thing.

Ah, yes, it is.  We are talking about single-instance-store.

That is the "singleinstancestore" directive.

> What I'm trying to achieve is to keep the "Single Instance Store"
> property on my replica
> (http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.7/overview.php#singleinstance)

Yep.

> In this case, since I use a single sync_client process per user, it is
> logical that hardlinks between mailboxes can't be preserved.

True, I guess that makes sense.    I believe I did an initial migration
using rsync and they fired up the sync-server to keep it up to date /
get the last changes.  But it was some time ago.  It certainly dedupp'ed
going forward.   Perhaps sync-ing across different versions may effect
it as well.

> > I believe that skiplist is 32bit/64bit neutral. So convert to
> > skiplist first, on the working server. KILL BERKELEY!! You want to
> > do that anyway.
> Yes it seems so.
> When you say Kill Berkeley, do you mean that the DB should saty in
> Skiplist format even on the production server (and not converted back
> to Berkeley)? If yes, do you have any URL describing the procedure ?

Yes, production 2.4.x boxes should be using Skiplist.

The cvt_cyrusdb will convert databases between formats.