Virtual Domains or not

Marc Patermann hans.moser at ofd-z.niedersachsen.de
Tue Apr 16 03:51:03 EDT 2013

Valentin,

Valentin Bud schrieb (16.04.2013 08:19 Uhr):

> I am trying to figure out what would be a "best practice" when one has a
> couple
> of domains on which it receives mail to and from which it sends mail from.
>
> For example I have the following domains:
>
>      example.com
>      example.net
>
> I have a user 'valentin' which has the following E-Mail addresses:
>
>      valentin at example.com
>      valentin at example.net
>
> The users are authenticated from OpenLDAP and the mail attribute is set to
> valentin at example.com. The mailAlternateAddress is set to
> valentin at example.net.
Do you know mail is a multi valued attribute and - if there are no
external circumstances - you do not need an extra attribute for a second
mail address?

> I plan to use the Lachman LDAP Mail Routing Draft [1] and schema.
>
> Should I create in Cyrus IMAP two virtual domains and a 'valentin' user
> for each
> of this domains or would it be better to create a user 'valentin' where
> to post
> the E-Mail messages I receive on both domains?
This truly depends on what YOU want or need.
If YOU only need one inbox then go that way.

> Then the MUAs could be configured with multiple identities and have only
> one
> mailbox.
For my private mail I do so. I have different domains, but want it in my
only inbox.
So my domains are virtual _in Postfix_ not in IMAPd.
If you have an object with something like

mail: valentin at example.com
mail: valentin at example.net
mail: foo at bar.net
maildrop: valentin

Postfix can send mail for all addresses (mail) included in the object to
the user valentin (maildrop) in IMAPd. Simple as that.

> What are the gotchas if I choose to go one way or the other? And do you
> think
> that [1] is 'stable' enough to be used?
>
> [1]: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lachman-ldap-mail-routing-03
Dunno.