auto create / subscribe folder patches

Wed Oct 3 19:19:04 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 11:50 PM, mailing list subscriber wrote:

>> > They're in the git repository now, and will be in Cyrus 2.5 when it's
>> > ready for release.  They still don't work with murder, but I'm looking
>> > into that.  Of course, it would need some form of "autocreatebackend"
>> > option with murder...
>>
>> I noticed that everytime auto- patches have been brought into issue,
>> murder was argued as a sensible impacted part. i'm curious how many
>> admins out of total setups are actually using it. I myself just abuse
>> cyrus as a single server for a soho office, so murder it's always
>> ignored. I understand it's powerful and there are other setups with
>> massive number of servers and users, but I'm just curious if maybe at
>> some point would be better to give those with a couple of mailboxes a
>> murder-free cyrus fork where you can easily patch things ("global
>> sieve rules" dead thread?) without worrying about breaking murder?
>
> Who wants to maintain that?  Not me.  It's bad enough keeping 2.4 and
> master (soon to be 2.5) following a similar path.
>
> That said, I'm happy to merge a patch that does global sieve rules in
> a sane way, even if they don't work with murder (presumably - each
> backend would have its own global rules and it's the admin's problem
> to keep them in sync.  That's cool - sieve doesn't really interact with
> murder much anyway.
>
> I even don't mind if they don't replicate.
>
> But it had better bloody work with the different alt_namespace and
> unixheirarchy settings, and not introduce and security problems.  And
> someone who actually cares had better write it if they want it.

There was this patch in 2006, is it close to requirements?
http://www.irbs.net/internet/info-cyrus/0612/0181.html

Two months later Ken asked the author to upload the patch in a bug,
but no bug I can find in bugzilla:
http://www.irbs.net/internet/info-cyrus/0702/0057.html

If is not compatible with current version, what can we ask the author
to modify about it?

I have bcc'ed this email to original patch author, Florian G Pflug