User tags lost

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu May 24 11:11:19 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:23:20AM -0400, Tom Plancon wrote:
> Wow! That explains a lot! The user currently has about 40 tags she
> made to organize her email for current projects, and she has been
> using this practice for over 3 years!

It's a pity this isn't working, because it really is a good way to
organise things.

Another alternative is to move them into folders instead, which is
what many people do.  It has an advantage of making everything
faster with smaller folders.

> I'm not sure if we'll attempt the repair as you suggested. Probably
> just abandon using tags and the user will come up with a new way of
> organizing her email. I will forewarn other users who may think this
> is a good method of organizing.

Sure.

> Thanks again for your knowledge and patience on this! All very
> helpful and interesting!

You're welcome.  I'm sorry that it is like this.  I have a couple of
potential ideas - one of which is just to strip unused tags from the
header file.  Another is to allow "extended flags" by setting a bit
in the message options which says "there's more flags in the cache
file, go read them from there".

None of which helps users of current versions of Cyrus of course :(

Bron.