imapd processes from antiquity clogging server

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Thu May 10 02:37:57 EDT 2012

This sounds like something we were having lately, namely that older versions of
Cyrus don't have any TCP timeouts in use, so if the other end of a connection,
typically a mobile device, goes away without closing the connection, the
connection just sits there and occupies the server until the end of time. There
was an option introduced somewhere along the 2.4 line to prevent this kind of
behaviour - i.e., an option to define a TCP timeout.

You can simply kill the ancient imapd processes. As the other end of the
connection has gone away, your users won't notice anything. The master process
will spawn new imapd processes as needed.

--Janne

Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi> PGP Key ID: 0x9CFAC88B
Please consider membership of the Hospitality Club (http://www.hospitalityclub.org)