imapd processes from antiquity clogging server

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Wed May 9 19:42:34 EDT 2012

We are running Cyrus 2.2.13, and I recently noticed that we have many
imapd processes on the server, dating back to the day that the server
was last booted, which was over 3 months ago.

The entries for many of them in /var/imap/proc look like this:

 > 249.sub-174-253-10.myvzw.com [174.253.10.249]

Note there's no user name with them.

I have googled myself silly, and can't find any evidence that others
have seen this problem.

I know they need to be killed; short of rebooting the server, is there
anything I could/should do?

I inherited this installation, btw, and don't really have anyone to talk
to about it.

Thanks.

b.