Compiling latest version for Redhat 6.

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Tue Mar 20 14:31:36 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 02:14:16PM -0400, Mark London wrote:
> Hi - I'm about to try installing the latest version of Cyrus on Redhat
> 6, and wanted to get any feedback from anyone, about any problems that I
> might run into.
>
> The reason I'm dgo this, is that we've recently been experiencing a
> problem with the older supplied version of cyrus that comes with
> redhat.  Occasionally, a user's account will get "stuck".  It appears it
> might involve the user's ".seen" file, as attempts to access the user's
> account gets stuck in the code that tries to open that file.  The
> problem might have not be "new", but we're only seeing it now, because
> of much heavier usage of the mail server.
>
> I don't have the time right now to fully debug the problem, so I figured
> it might be easier to first simply install the latest version.  I have
> compiled it on a test redhat 6 server, and it seems to work fine.  I'll
> be porting to our real server tonight, but I wonder if there are any
> "gotchas", that I might run into, that won't be noticable until it
> actually starts to heavy use.
>
> Thanks. - Mark

Hi Mark,

Are you talking about the latest point release of the cyrus 2.3 that
ships with Redhat 6 or the latest 2.4 release? A major version bump
has many upgrade implications and should be avoided. We are running
the same Redhat 6 release here and we have seen a problem like this
being caused by the stalled pop3d process. The easy fix was to kill
the pop3d process that was holding the lock and then everything started
to work again. A simple check is to kill all the old pop3d processes
since pop3 does not maintain persistent connections, the old ones are
the culprit. You can use 'lsof -p process-id' to see which cyrus user
it is locked on. That is certainly a lot simpler than performing a
software upgrade on your production environment.

Regards,
Ken