Compiling latest version for Redhat 6.

Stephen Ingram sbingram at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 14:26:56 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Mark London <mrl at psfc.mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi - I'm about to try installing the latest version of Cyrus on Redhat
> 6, and wanted to get any feedback from anyone, about any problems that I
> might run into.
>
> The reason I'm dgo this, is that we've recently been experiencing a
> problem with the older supplied version of cyrus that comes with
> redhat.  Occasionally, a user's account will get "stuck".  It appears it
> might involve the user's ".seen" file, as attempts to access the user's
> account gets stuck in the code that tries to open that file.  The
> problem might have not be "new", but we're only seeing it now, because
> of much heavier usage of the mail server.
>
> I don't have the time right now to fully debug the problem, so I figured
> it might be easier to first simply install the latest version.  I have
> compiled it on a test redhat 6 server, and it seems to work fine.  I'll
> be porting to our real server tonight, but I wonder if there are any
> "gotchas", that I might run into, that won't be noticable until it
> actually starts to heavy use.

I used the Invoca srpms from Simon Matter and built them for Redhat 5
and upgraded from the 2.3.x version supplied with Redhat. All of the
databases update in place (new version uses all skiplist instead of
some skiplist and some Berkeley DB). The only thing you need to look
out for is that when users access their mailboxes for the first time
after the upgrade, their indexes are updated. If you have several of
these go off at once, it can send your load up quite high. Thus, if
there is any way to stagger this, it can be helpful--especially if you
have lots of mailboxes.

Steve