changing phisical nfs partition

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Mar 5 08:49:20 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 10:23 +0000, Bumo wrote:
> Hi, I'm working on a server RH ES rel.4Up5.  Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12 Version (RPM = cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-8.1.RHEL4).
> I'm changing the NFS systems to newer ones and I would like to ask if it does the job to follow these steps to tranfer the mailbox data from the old to the new one (imap partition).
> I will use: "nfs" and "nfs1" as names for these partitions. nfs1 is the new one.
> 1) Stop the mail service (imapd + smtp)
> 2) Transfer the data to new partition (from nfs to nfs1)
> 3) Change fstab: naming the new partition with the actual name and vice versa nfs -> nfs1 and nfs1 -> nfs
> 4) Restart the services

Seems roughly correct to me.

> Then, about point 2).
> I use rsync to syncronize the partitions with the services running then I use it again after stopping the services.

Yep.

> The command is this:   rsync -ac --delete --rsh="ssh -l root" root at myserver:/nfs /nfs1/
> It takes around 3hour to copy 60GB and I wounder if I can have a better performance. May be removing checksum test?

Shouldn't the subsequent runs be much faster after the first run?  After
the first run it should only sync changes.

Make sure you are getting the meta-data partitions as well as the spool
partitions.

--
System & Network Administrator [ LPI & NCLA ]
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>