IMAP error reported by server. Invalid body section.

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 22 15:41:52 EDT 2012

On 06/22/2012 09:43 AM, Dave McMurtrie wrote:
> On 06/22/2012 06:35 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 13:07 -0300, Rodrigo Abantes Antunes wrote:
>>> The source from horde3 is exactly the same as horde4
>>
>> That is expected.  It isn't the message but the interpretation of the
>> message.  These evil messages contain many named parts separated by a
>> boundry (the boundry value is declared in the header of the message).
>> Then parts of a message can refer to other parts of the message.  So
>> either H4 can't correctly [or incorrectly!] parse the message into parts
>> by boundry or one part references another part that isn't found.
>>
>> It would be useful to ask this question on the Horde / IMP mail list.
>
> I think this originated as a bug report to Horde and they think it's the
> IMAP server's fault.
>
> Rodrigo, can you forward the message to me?

Hi.  Rodrigo sent me the message.  I wanted to confirm that the MIME
structure was correct so I used munpack which was able to successfully
unpack all the message parts.  This isn't a guarantee that the MIME
structure is correct, but at the very least I can't definitely say the
message is malformed.

I then imported the message into my mailstore.  reconstruct was not
pleased with it from the start:

Jun 22 15:29:48 cyrusbe-d04 reconstruct[28021]: ERROR: message has more
than 1000 header lines, not caching any more

I tried reading the message with Squirrelmail and that fails.  It does 2
FETCH operations.  First:

A009 UID Fetch 1 (FLAGS UID RFC822.SIZE INTERNALDATE
BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (Date To Cc From Subject X-Priority Importance
Priority Cont
ent-Type)])

I'll sanitize the response to protect people's email addresses:

* 1 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen) UID 1 INTERNALDATE "22-Jun-2012 15:23:39 -0400"
RFC822.SIZE 739385 BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (Date To Cc From Subject X
-Priority Importance Priority Content-Type)] {1968}