loginrealm

Marc Patermann hans.moser at ofd-z.niedersachsen.de
Tue Jun 19 09:37:36 EDT 2012

Hi,

my servers are configured to use mailboxes without realm or domain, like
user.jdoe for user jdoe, where his mail address is like
john.doe at example.com.
Authentication is against LDAP, where the mail adress is in the
attribute mail and an attribute maildrop stores
jdoe at imapserver.example.com which points to the IMAPd server used and
his mail user name/mailbox.
This works fine.

Now we try to integrate SOGo. SOGo uses LDAP too and gets the IMAP user
name from LDAP, where is only the attribute maildrop with the "domain
part" appended to the username.

May 27 11:16:22 mailserver imap[8581]: badlogin: client [10.49.9.74]
plaintext jdoe at imapserver.example.com SASL(-13): authentication failure:
cross-realm login jdoe at imapserver.example.com denied

The hint on the SOGo list was to use "loginrealm" with
imapserver.example.com.
With this jdoe can authenticate against my IMAPd server, but it does not
find a maildox, because it looks for jdoe at imapserver.example.com /
user.jdoe at imapserver.example.com and not for jdoe / user.jdoe.

Is there any way to get around this with IMAPd?

Marc