Failover for business continuity

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Jun 1 09:59:10 EDT 2012

Ram wrote the following on 5/30/2012 8:53 AM:

> On 05/30/2012 02:26 PM, Eric Luyten wrote:

>>> But I have seen some DNS clients , especially on windows , do not honor
>>> TTL.
>>> For a 10 minute TTL , even after 4 hours the windows server keeps
>>> resolving to the old server
>> Ram,
>>

>> Correct.
>> Some OSes/applications/resolver libraries will keep on using the 'old'
>> values until *they* see fit.
>>
>> DNS-based failover is (and always has been) a very low cost, halfbaked
>> solution. Been there, done that...
>>

>> Eric.
> So if not DNS based fail over , what is the other alternative.
> I cant move the IP , or re-announce BGP
> I cant have both servers in active-active mode

You could use a VPN to easily move the IP address from one location to
another. This could be accomplished in several ways: a site-to-site L2
VPN allowing the use of a single subnet at both locations; an imap
server to router VPN allowing whichever server has an active VPN
connection to assume the "active" IP; I'm sure there are others.

I would think a VPN would be simpler and thus more reliable than using a
front end proxy.

--Blake