expunge_days option in Cyrus 2.4

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 17 14:21:00 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012, at 04:45 PM, David Carter wrote:
> A bit of digging through source code uncovered:
>
>    expunge_days: 7
>      Number of days to retain expunged messages before cleaning up
>      their index  records. The  default is 7. This is a necessary for
>      QRESYNC to work  correctly. If combined with delayed expunge (above)
>      you will also be able to unexpunge messages during this time.

Sorry!  This was to stop sites having their disk fill up unexpectedly, but I
should have probably set it to something higher.  We use 7 days at FastMail
currently.  It will actually check for double that before it triggers usually,
but your value is significantly higher than that.

The sync_client thing is a separate matter... it should consider those to be
bogus and clean them up I think... hmm.

Magic is generally bad, but I don't think we can guarantee cyr_expire will run
with sensible options, so the code has to have some sort of sanity check.
I guess it COULD just trigger a syslog, but then the sites not doing cyr_expire
probably aren't reading syslog either :(

Bron.
--
  Bron Gondwana
  brong at fastmail.fm