Questions before upgrading vom 2.3 to 2.4

Pascal Gienger pascal.gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Mon Jan 9 14:22:03 EST 2012

Le 06/01/2012 17:50, Bron Gondwana a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:04:26AM +0100, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
>>> With meta-partition on a fast SSD device this even would not have
>>> occured (500 GB SSD needed in our case....)
>>
>> We don't have any of those, unfortunately ...
>
> As nice as SSDs are, they wouldn't have helped - the IO hit is reading
> every single message file from the spools to rebuild cache and index
> files with accurate checksums.  I'm not convinced it was the best idea
> (after the troubles people have had with it)... but the flip side would
> have been much more complex code paths for handling incomplete checksum
> data :(

It would, because our new storage which will arrive hopefully end 1st
quarter will have SATA, SAS and SSD with automatic and manual migration.
So before the upgrade I would have migrated all the mail spool on the
SSD area and yes, it will have enough space for it. If not, I would have
moved it to SAS and decent cache size. And I would not have had any
downtime because due to the storage virtualization WWPNs would not have
changed - it would have been transparent to my Solaris hosts.

Pascal Gienger     Jabber/XMPP/Mail: pascal.gienger at uni-konstanz.de
University of Konstanz, IT Services Department ("Rechenzentrum")
Building V, Room V404, Phone +49 7531 88 5048, Fax +49 7531 88 3739
G+: https://plus.google.com/114525323843315818983/