Problem recover replica

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 2 08:12:52 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 01:11:24PM +0100, Manel Gimeno Zaragozá wrote:

What version?

> Everything is working fine between Master & Replica until Replica goes down (maintenance or whatever). Once is down, in master there are still connections and modification. If I bring up Replica the changes made during the "blackout" are no fully transmitted to it. Some of the are transmitted, but not all.
>
> Which is the best way to resincronize the missing parts to Replica?

sync_client -r -f $file for each file in the conf/sync/ directory.

> I was wordering to rsync imap folders (/var/spool/imap & /var/lib/imap), and It works fine in my test environment, but in produccion it could be GB to sincronize and I think this is not optimum.

No, that's awful.  Don't do that.

> Other option was "sync_client -l -u <all_user>" but I'm guessing that in production I will have the same problem due to the amount of data to sincronize.

It's not too bad.  We run it occasionally if we suspect things have
got confused for other reasons.

> On the other hand, I have also doubts about how "sync_client -r" and "sync_server" are initiated. In my test machines I should run manually them each time I start cyrus-imapd, I though that it could be automatic one I start the service cyrus-imapd, but it is not.

I have attached the script that we run.  It has lots of hooks into
our own systems of course.

I would LIKE to make something more generic that's part of Cyrus
itself, rather than having external tooling.  Of course, our external
tooling is a bit special-cased as well.  But at least having a basic
"keep trying to replicate all the records" would be good.

Bron.