Need your urgent advice

anant at isac.gov.in anant at isac.gov.in
Sat Dec 8 05:12:10 EST 2012

----- Message from brong at fastmail.fm ---------
     Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 10:59:57 +0100
     From: Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm>
  Subject: Re: Need your urgent advice
       To: anant at isac.gov.in
       Cc: Dan White <dwhite at olp.net>, Info Cyrus
<info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>

> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 10:34 AM, anant at isac.gov.in wrote:
>> ----- Message from brong at fastmail.fm ---------
>>      Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 10:18:29 +0100
>>      From: Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm>
>>   Subject: Re: Need your urgent advice
>>        To: anant at isac.gov.in, Dan White <dwhite at olp.net>
>>        Cc: Info Cyrus <info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>

>> > The problem is that the mailboxes.db contents format is unchanged, but
>> > if you have mailboxes.db itself as a Berkeley DB file, and your Cyrus is
>> > compiled against a different version of Berkeley, then that could cause
>> > problems.
>> >
>> > I think following the HOWTO as you plan is the best solution in your
>> > circumstance.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Bron.
>> > --
>> >   Bron Gondwana
>> >   brong at fastmail.fm
>>
>> Thanks.  Apart from this, should I also do
>> 1. ctl_cyrusdb -r
>
> This should be part of your START block in cyrus.conf.  You don't need
> to (and shouldn't!) run it during operations.
>
>> 2. tls_prune
>> 3. ctl_cyrusdb -c
>> 4. cyr_expire -E 3
>
> These should all run from your EVENTS block in cyrus.conf (or from cron
> if you're so inclined) on a scheduled basis.  I can't see that any of them
> would make any difference to crashing.
>
>> Or reconstruct -r -f will take care of all these steps?
>
> That will get you all the mailboxes.db records correct, I hope!  I really
> don't like working with berkeley DB.  Another option, if you have access to
> the old copy still, is to dump the mailboxes.db from there as a plaintext
> file with ctl_mboxlist and then import it into the new server.  In 2.3.16 I
> would recommend skiplist for mailboxes.db.
>
> If you're using licenced Redhat, you may also want to check with Redhat
> support for advice, since they have presumably done this before.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bron.
> --
>   Bron Gondwana
>   brong at fastmail.fm

I have not set anything for database type in imapd.conf and as per
RHEL, the default is skiplist (if nothing is mentioned in imapd.conf).

So, in some thread, somebody had mentioned of deleteing all db files
and running the above commands which I had mentioned in my previous
mail and start reconstruct finally.    So, there is no need to delete
all db files as they are getting freshend as part of cyrus.conf....

Currently mailboxes.db is in skiplist database only.  Only thing I saw
in documentation

"Upgrading from 2.3.3 or later"

"Due to byte alignment issues in cyrus.index, all mailboxes will have
to be reconstructed."

According to this statement, I am suppose to reconstruct and I will do now.
Hope things go well without any problem.

Regards,
Anant.

Regards,
Anant.