Some messages are missing and reconstruct doesn't help

Geoff Adams gadams+cyrus at avernus.com
Fri Aug 24 17:37:59 EDT 2012

On Aug 24, 2012, at 1:36 PM, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> And you didn't realise that in 2.4.x, the EXPUNGED records are
> retained in cyrus.index with a magic flag rather than copied to
> a separate cyrus.expunge file.  This means that even though there
> are lots of files on the disk, what you're actually doing by
> deleting cyrus.index and forcing a full reconstruct is bring BACK
> emails which the user has already deleted once!

That thought had crossed my mind, but I'm quite certain that that's not it (or not the whole story). Indeed, no new mail messages delivered to this user's mailbox ever appear in the IMAP client (verified by direct connection using imtest).

For instance, can you take a look at message UID 23487 in that mailbox? That message was delivered yesterday evening before I did the reconstruction, and did not appear in the user's mailbox until I reconstructed the mailbox. I've verified in the logs that this user hasn't connected via POP, so it's not that he's fetching and immediately deleting the messages.

It's possible that a lot of those older messages were deleted and expunged (perhaps by being refiled by his mail client), and I've just resurrected them all, but that doesn't explain the failure of new messages to appear in the index.

And at this point, I'm afraid to turn off delayed expunge, since I don't know which messages should really be expunged, and which should appear.

- Geoff