seen db

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 8 08:24:57 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012, at 11:42 AM, Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> On 08/08/2012 02:21 AM, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Guys, where is the seen database nowadays ? :) I used to think that it's
> > stored in <imaproot>/user/<firstletter>/<username>.seen, these files do
> > exist on my server but they seem to be irrelevant. I just truncated one
> > of them and the seen information didn't go anywhere. Furthermore, they
> > aren't touched by the server for a long time. Didn't manage to find this
> > information in documentation, so I decided to ask here.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Eugene.
>

> If you are using 2.4 then seen state is now in cyrus.index
>
> http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/mediawiki/index.php/Cyrus_2.4_Changes

In more detail: the seen state for the OWNER of the mailbox is stored in
cyrus.index.  That means that if the mailbox is "fastmail.fm!user.brong.Drafts"
then the owner is brong at fastmail.fm.  So my seen state is stored in the
cyrus.index.

If you access other users' folders, or shared folders, then it uses the same
seen file as before.

Also - if the folder has the SHAREDSEEN attributed, then it uses the cyrus.index
item.  This means that switching too/from SHAREDSEEN is invisible to the owner
of the mailbox, they have the same flags either way :)

It's a special case - but it's a special case that saves a lot of IO for 99% of
users, so it's a good special case to have!

Bron.
--
  Bron Gondwana
  brong at fastmail.fm