Unlimited mailbox problem

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Sep 26 08:46:34 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 12:01 +0200, Vittorio Manfredini wrote:
> I found the trick, was a problem on the working account   :
> LOSTQUOTA: unable to record quota file
> Fixed and now I have the same behavior on both accounts.
> I think that there are the following possible scenario for an account :
> 1) account with quota defined (this is the standard scenario)
> 2) account with no quota (account where quota is not defined, quiet
> dangerous storage use could grow rapidly)
> 3) account with unlimited quota (account where quota it's unlimited,
> but exists and the admin can check the amount of storage used by the
> account)
> For the scenario 1) and 2) there are no problem, but how I can realize
> the third scenario ?

If there is no quota [your case#] there is no server-side tracking of
storage; the only solution is to walk the mailbox [and subordinate
mailboxes], which has numerous issues of its own.

I agree it would be very useful if the server kept capacity information
on-hand regardless of quota settings.  I'd like to see a "real size" and
"allocated size" values.  For example I'd like to know the size
including delayed-expunge messages.

On the other hand, putting on my sys-admin hat, is #2 a real situation?
If madly growing allocation is a potential issue it would see the
solution is a very large quota and to track some threshold of that
quota.